The Hollywood Japanese Cultural Institute was originally established in 1947 as the Hollywood Japanese Community Center. The Hollywood Gakuen (Japanese Language School) and Hollywood Buddhist Church were the original groups to use the original social hall building as their home.
Hollywood Judo Dojo began operating under HJCC in 1951. The Judo Dojo was located nearby on Westmoreland Ave. The Dojo was a humble wooden building behind the home owned by the Kakiba family.
In order to accommodate a growing number of gakuen students and need for more meeting space, the annex building was built in 1977. The two-story multipurpose building was completed in 1994 to house three classrooms (2nd floor) and a new home for Hollywood Judo Dojo (1st floor).
The Hollywood JCI celebrated its 70-year anniversary on Oct. 22, 2017. We are forever grateful to the dedication, hard work, and generosity of our Issei and Nisei members and community support for establishing the HJCC/HJCI.
Hollywood JCI is a 501(C)3 non-profit organization. Hollywood JCI is sustained by dedicated volunteers and the support of our members and community.